Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Somebody To Love: Gay First Time Best Friend Romance by Van Cole







Blurb

Best Friends. Best Companions. But Can They Be The Best Of Lovers?

Joe and I were best friends when we met in high school.
In fact, he was the only thing that made my teenage years halfway tolerable.

But I knew he wouldn’t switch.
I knew he couldn’t switch.
But there was always something a bit curious about Joe.
And it wasn’t just his charisma.
Or his looks.
There always seemed something slightly furious in his chestnut eyes.
Something forbidden… even to himself.
It was a fury that terrified me.
And I wanted to taste it.

When I saw him for the first time in almost seven years, I didn’t know how close I was to doing just that.


Somebody To Love is a standalone Gay First Time Best Friend Romance with a HEA and NO cheating!

Review 
My Rating - 4 Stars!


Van Cole's Somebody to Love is an interesting friends to lovers romance. 

This is a story that spans the years of an extremely complicated relationship between three friends. Honestly, I was easily riveted by these characters and I couldn't put down this complex tale of these three friends.

There are three main characters throughout. Joe, Dan, and Lucy. From their school days to many years later, their choices continue to affect them. Their relationship is so much more than I could have ever expected. 

This quote sums up this story well, but more importantly, it's a poignant thought in general.  "...that's the funny thing about masks. You become so accustomed to them, you don't even remember who you are sometimes."


Told in first person pov of Joe as an internal monologue, the reader is easily transported fully into his mindset. By only showing his side of things, the weirdness and allure is heightened. In other words, this in the perfect way to have written this story despite it being long winded and overly descriptive. There are definitely times where it's too much though.


I love and adore the Upstate NY mentions. And, wow, that's definitely a random small town they picked. Super fun for this NY girl.

Somebody to Love is a complex, long journey towards love. This Van Cole tale is full of missed chances, fear, and complications. It's a fantastic illustration of how one's choices affect others. A super quick read, I'm definitely glad I read it but I don't know who I'd recommend it to. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...