Sunday, April 19, 2020

MF - Only When It's Us (Bergman Brothers #1) by Chloe Lies



Amazon Link - Available in KU
Goodreads Link





2 Frenemies.
1 Disastrous prank.
Ryder
Ever since she sat next to me in class and gave me death eyes, Willa Sutter’s been on my shit list. Why she hates me, I don't know. What I do know is that Willa is the kind of chaos I don’t need in my tidy life.
She’s the next generation of women’s soccer.
Wild hair, wilder eyes.
Bee-stung lips that should be illegal.
And a temper that makes the devil seem friendly.
She’s a thorn in my side, a menacing, cantankerous, pain-in-the-ass who’s turned our Business Mathematics course into a goddamn gladiator arena. I'll leave this war zone unscathed, coming out on top…And if I have my way with that crazy-haired, ball-busting hellion, that will be in more than one sense of the word. 
Willa
Rather than give me the lecture notes I missed like every other instructor I’ve had, my asshole professor tells me to get them from the silent, surly flannel-wearing mountain man sitting next to me in class. Well, I tried. And what did I get from Ryder Bergman? Ignored. 
What a complete lumbersexual neanderthal.
Mangy beard and mangier hair.
Frayed ball cap that hides his eyes.
And a stubborn refusal to acknowledge my existence.
I’ve battled men before, but with Ryder, it's war. I’ll get those notes and crack that Sasquatch nut if it’s the last thing I do, then I’ll have him at my mercy. Victory will have never tasted so sweet.
Only When It’s Us is a frenemies-to-lovers, new adult sports romance between a women’s soccer star and her surly lumbersexual classmate, complete with a matchmaking professor, juvenile pranks, and a smoking slow burn. This standalone is the first in a series of new novels about five Swedish brothers and their wild adventures, ending in a true happily ever after


My Rating - 5 Stars!

Only When It's Us is an enjoyable new adult romance by Chloe Lies. I'm always a sucker for a good college romance, and this frenemies to lovers one excited me from the start.  

Ryder and Willa get off to a rough start. The way this is written captured my attention immediately and had me fully intrigued in their story throughout. As they learn one another's backgrounds and motivations, the walls start crumbling. Both characters are complex, and end up being way more than they appear to be. I definitely enjoy them as individuals and as a couple. 

Willa is a strong female character, a total spitfire, and a sports star. Yes, the female character is the college sports star in this one. What a delightful twist from the norm. A totally independent woman, she is not one for commitment, and it shows. 

Then there's Ryder. Wow. Just wow. His backstory is handled in a nice way, not focusing on the negative. Yet, he will win you over immediately when you learn his background. And his family, oh how I love them. 

This one just has all the feels for me. The story is written with charm and love. Ohhh...the slow burn element is wonderfully done. This story is one with a wonderful family element that I completely love as well. 

The writing is great, with a nice tone, a pleasant writing style, and a seamless flow. The author excels in the exploration of being deaf, writing it with knowledge, compassion, and care. And then there's the bickering. Ohhh, the author gives us plenty of hot tempered moments between these two, which just ups the fun. They bicker, insult, and piss off one another from the start. It's all great. 

I truly enjoy Only When It's Us. My first time reading a Chloe Lies book, I am impressed and look forward to reading more. Don't miss out on this little gem when you're in the mood for a sweet new adult read! It won't disappoint with it's mix of friendship, family, and love. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...