Friday, December 28, 2018

Nick, Very Deeply (8 Million Hearts Book 5) by Spencer Spears







Blurb


They say soulmates don’t exist. But they’ve never met Nick Sawyer...


Eli: In my defense, I didn’t think I’d see Nick again. If I had, I would never have kissed him.

I got a fake ID because I was bored, not because I planned on meeting anyone. But from the moment I saw Nick--all tall, dark, and librarian-y, with hardcover books falling out of his messenger bag and eyes that made me forget how to breathe--I knew I needed to know him better.

So maybe I told a little white lie about my birthday. And maybe I went into the city again, and again, just so I could run into him. And maybe, on that last morning, I kissed him, because I knew it was goodbye.

Except, turns out, it wasn’t. Whoops.

Only now, I have to spend the rest of the year working with Nick, and it’s clear he wishes we’d never met. He says I have to move on, but the more I get to know him, the more impossible that seems. How do you move on from someone as strong and smart and sweet as Nick? How do you get over the first person who’s told you that you matter?

And what the hell do you do when, out of nowhere, he kisses you again?

“I can’t keep fighting this. I need you. I need us.”

Nick: I tried to keep my distance. I tried to forget that kiss. I tried to remind myself how dangerous it was, just being around Eli. How much I was putting in jeopardy.

I tried… but I never stood a chance.

Eli is everything I’m not. Reckless and wild, where all I’ve ever been is cautious. Open and loving, where I’ve only ever been scared. Willing to take risks, to be vulnerable, to be brave. I want to be brave enough to deserve him.

I know it’s wrong, but before I know it, I’ve fallen for this crazy, beautiful boy and his ocean-blue eyes. Before I know it, I’m kissing him again.

“I’d take it all back if I could.” That’s what I’m supposed to say. But the truth is, I wouldn’t. I would choose Eli every time.

Even if it means losing everything.

Nick, Very Deeply is Book 5 in the 8 Million Hearts series. While each book can be read on its own, they're even more fun to read together. Nick, Very Deeply is a 135,000 word m/m romance full of snark, sweetness, and a healthy serving of steam. Teacher/student and hurt/comfort themes with a delicious slow burn. No cheating, no cliffhangers, and a guaranteed HEA.



Review 
My Rating - 5 Stars!

Nick, Very Deeply is another fantastic book in the 8 Million Hearts series by Spencer Spears. I am so excited to finally get Nick's story!

There are so many different facets to Nick and Eli's relationship. First of all, it's a teacher/student romance, but it's not like any I've ever read before. Nothing is ever inappropriate, so if that tends to bother you, fear not. 

As for Eli and Nick, their relationship is not easy. There's an age difference that bothers Nick a lot. It's complicated that Eli's in high school and they need to sneak around. They face a lot of doubts, fears and insecurities along the way. There are a lot of denials and then enlightenment. It's extraordinarily well rounded and written in an exquisite manner.

Their story
explores the pain of being closeted and the pain of trying to do what's best for the other person. It also explores the pain of trying to let someone explore what they want and the pain of losing someone.

The story of Nick's mother is tragic and very emotional. Meanwhile, Eli's family is overbearing and suffocate him. Both experiences shape these men and influence their decisions.


There are plenty of delightfully fun moments, and some great, humorous texts. But, you'll also find yourself crying and hurting.

The divinity school aspect of Nick's life is interesting. Most of the time, if a character is in divinity school, there would be some preaching or opinions, but this isn't the case with Nick. Instead we have Nick, who's religious without being opinionated and better than anyone else. It's quite refreshing.

Overall, there is nothing easy or predicable about Nick and Eli. They're so good together, complimenting each other wonderfully, but they have a lot of decisions to make. They're both at a turning point in their lives, and they need to decide what path they want to pursue. The way they approach this and the way it's handled is a great example of why I love Spencer Spears' writing so much. 

If you haven't read Spencer's books yet, please do yourself a favor and start soon. The stories are full of heart and emotion and are written with a whole lot of care, compassion, and heart. The writing style is accomplished and the character development is superb. 

Nick, Very Deeply is a perfect addition to Spencer Spear's 8 Million Hearts series. It can be read as a standalone, but it's definitely more fun to read the other with it. Either way, I highly recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...