Friday, June 14, 2019

Come Home (Kinley Island #1) by Raleigh Ruebins




Blurb

Gavin:
Hunter is my best friend. Nothing more.
Sure, he’s a hot, charming, scatterbrained little ball of perfect, and he protected me when I needed it most. But to him, I’m just an old friend. I moved to the city long ago to try to forget that I’m a little bit completely in love with him. But when work pulls me back to our small island hometown, it’s like stepping into a time machine to ten years ago.
Suddenly, Hunter is my entire world again. His eyes, his lips, his mischievous smile. He’s ten times more irresistible, and a million times more trouble.

He doesn’t think anything of it when he kisses me one late summer night. Forbidden for years, and now he’s right in my lap.
To him, it’s just reckless fun. But I’m done for.
Because he’s the only thing that feels like home.

Hunter:
Ever since Gavin became a successful hot shot in the city, he felt more like a stranger than my best friend. Where was the shy, sweet guy I used to stick up for in school? The person who could tell me anything?
Now he’s swooped back into our hometown, threatening to change the island forever. But we like our small town just the way it is. I should be fighting against Gavin and everything his company wants to do.

...But I’m no good at “should.” Instead, I end up with my lips on his.
...And then pulling him into bed.
And God, now I only want more.
Everyone in town tells me to stay away, but Gavin hits a spot that no one else has. A little secret, wicked-hot fun with a friend never hurt anything. Right?

Come Home is a 70,000-word gay romance about two friends who should be enemies but fall in love instead. It features summer nights by the water, boozy milkshakes, bad decisions, and a very good dog named Meatball. 


Review 
My Rating - 4 Stars!


Raleigh Ruebins' Come Home is the first book in a new series, Kinley Island.

The romance is sweet, with two best friends who never acted on their feelings before. The conflict storyline was okay. It certainly represents the small town feeling and adds to the atmosphere. But for some reason I just didn't love it. I found myself more upset with Gavin for his opinions, despite him having good motivation. I think I was just annoyed with the whole project.

In the end though, it's really sweet. And the ending is fantastic. Best scavenger hunt ever!

I love most of the writing, but there are times were the author drove me crazy with the repeated use of "he said", "I said." The strange thing is that it certainly isn't throughout the book, but rather in certain scenes. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Come Home despite the couple of issues I had with it. It's definitely a sweet small-town romance. I'm excited to read the next book in the series.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...