Sunday, April 11, 2021

WOMEN'S FICTION - The Other Mrs. Samson by Ralph Webster

 


Amazon Link   - Available in KU  





Surviving two wars, sharing one husband, searching for answers...

A hidden compartment in a black lacquer cabinet left in an attic reveals the secrets of two incredible women: Hilda, born and raised in one of the wealthiest Jewish families in turn-of-the-century San Francisco, and Katie, whose early life in Germany is marked by tragedy and death. Their lives are forever entwined by their love of the same man, the brilliant and compassionate Dr. Josef Samson.

From the earliest, rough-and-tumble days of San Francisco, through the devastation of the Great War in Berlin and the terrors of Vichy France, and then to a new yet uncertain life in New York City, their stories span the most tumultuous events of the twentieth century. In the end, one of these women will complete the life of the other and make a startling discovery about the husband they share.




My Rating - 3.5Stars!


Ralph Webster's The Other Mrs Sampson is an intriguing story. But I definitely have mixed feelings regarding it. 

This is the story of letters discovered that follows Josef, Hilda, and Katie. Most of this story is from Hilda and Katie's perspective, told through their letters and journal. This is mostly their stories, as they talk about love, family, and war.   

Their story is full of twists and turns. Covering the gold rush in San Francisco, the aftermath of WWI, the Great Depression, WWII, and more, the history jumps off the pages. 

And ultimately, the story ends with a surprising revelation. It leaves the reader with a "well darn!" kind of feeling. 

I enjoy the story as a whole, and like the ending, but I am left with wanting more. Of what? I don't know. I just know I found myself distracted at times. At some parts, I was completely riveted. Others found me with my thoughts drifting. I can't put my finger on it, but some parts are definitely more interesting than others. 

Overall, The Other Mrs Samson is an entertaining read. Ralph Webster includes a huge taste of history in this tale which I definitely appreciate. It's easy to read, but I don't know who I would recommend it to. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...