Friday, July 12, 2019

Break Free (Kinley Island #2) by Raleigh Ruebins







Blurb

Caleb:
Nobody’s better at being alone than me. I’ve perfected the art of isolation: I go to work at Luna’s Diner, come home, and I definitely don’t go on dates anymore.

But then Beck walked into my diner looking like the textbook definition of a hot, single dad--tall, bearded, and the kindest eyes this side of the Rockies.
And I let my guard down for the first time in years.

He’s straight, but soon he wants to keep me close. In-bed-together close. I’d forgotten just how good it could feel. But I have no room in my life for a crush, let alone a relationship. My past broke me into pieces, and I’m only now starting to pick them back up.

I’m not going to let myself fall for him.
Even though he’s the first person I’ve been comfortable with in years.
Even though he wants me, too, on lonely nights.
Even though his touch makes me ache.

Beck:
Since moving to Kinley Island, I’ve been living like a shadow. I’m divorced and single for the first time in fifteen years, and my days have been as drab and routine as the rainy weather outside.

And then one late night at my regular diner, everything changed. The mysterious, tattooed man behind the counter opened up to me--flirted with me--and I flirted back. I’ve never been into men, but I can’t keep my eyes off Caleb--he’s beautiful, intense, and broken, and now I feel a desperate urge to fix him.

But I also just got a phone call I never expected: my sixteen-year-old daughter is coming to stay with me for the summer. After living like a bachelor all year, I have no clue how to be a single parent. Caleb offers to help me, and of course I say yes.

But now I’m starting to feel addicted to him.
His body. His lips. His touch.
Is it possible to like a friend too much? 


Review 
My Rating - 4 Stars!


Raleigh Ruebins' Break Free, the second book in the Kinley Island series, is an emotional gfy romance.

Beck and Caleb are two broken, yet extremely likable men. Each with their own troubled pasts, their story is one of healing, as both men desperately need one another. Beck's alone, having recently been divorced, missing his daughter, and hoping to reunite with his ex wife. Caleb meanwhile, has returned home, is sad, and is floundering from the pain and hurt of losing his wife. Their romance is a slow burn, as Beck thinks himself straight, and is unable to even consider loving Caleb.


Their tale also includes a troubled teen and some awkward moments with her,  and too many apologies. It contains confusion, denial and lies. It also includes one very steamy moment. 

I seriously wanted to smack Beck at times, as he just couldn't admit his feelings and see what was right in front of him. Not used to being in a loving and supportive relationship, he just didn't know what love really looks like. He seriously is too nice for his own good, always trying to please everyone else. 

In classic Raleigh Ruebins fashion, this book is full of some great side characters and the small town feel is well represented. Told in dual pov, we're gifted with good insight into both men from the start.

The author definitely added some repeated "he said" at times, which is always cringe worthy to me. But I love everything else about the writing. The storyline's fantastic, as usual, and the characters take the reader on a wonderful journey. 

Break Free is a compelling story of self discovery. Raleigh Ruebins delivers a heart-warming romance between two men each getting a second chance at love. I definitely recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...