Sunday, May 20, 2018

Scar by Baylin Crow





Blurb:

A closed-off bartender. An outgoing college athlete. Sparks fly...but will anyone win this battle of wills?BEARD: Oh, I want him. But it's too risky.

My past isn't pretty. After a disastrous incident nearly destroyed me, I rose from the ashes to reclaim my life. I may not be happy, but I'm comfortable. And I'll never let anyone get close enough to hurt me again. But then six feet of pure temptation walks through the doors of my bar...repeatedly...for a year. I've done a good job of ignoring the sexy college soccer player, until the night his teammates leave him stranded and intoxicated, forcing me to offer him shelter. Now I can't shake the persistent man.

SOCCER: I play to win. But he's more than a game.

As a forward, it's my job to score points. Too bad I haven't been able to do that with the local green-eyed bartender. I haven't been subtle about my attraction, and Beard's interest shines through his gruff exterior...whether he chooses to admit it or not. When my well-meaning teammates intervene, using questionable tactics, and leave me at Beard's mercy, it's time to make my move.

When past hurts threaten to destroy their chance at happiness, is it time for Soccer to push forward to reach his ultimate goal...or has he made a play destined for mutual heartbreak?

This is a standalone novella.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

REVIEW:

I loved Scar!   What a wonderful story.  This is the second book by Baylin Crow, and if future books are as good as this, I will be thrilled!

Beard is working at his bar and hates when the college soccer team goes in.  Why?  Because of the hot player he calls Soccer. Beard is definitely attracted to him, but just can't take the risk.

Soccer cannot stop wanting Beard. When he teammates set him up to be left with Beard, Beard has no choice but to take care of him for the night. And they start talking more. Soccer can tell that Beard is attracted to him too. He just needs to break down his walls.

I love Beard. He is just such a great character. He moved to town to live with his grandfather after he was attacked for being gay. When his grandfather died, he left his bar to Beard. Beard is a hard-working, loving guy, who is unfortunately, scared to open himself up to love or taking the risk of being outed again. He is simply existing instead of living. 

And Soccer. I love Soccer. Just such an adorable guy. He has great friends, and is a great friend. He is caring, understanding, and won't take no for an answer. He falls in love with Beard and it's that love that brings Beard back to living.

Scar is a slow burn love story. And it is so well written. It has a broken character who finds true love despite his flaws. Watching Beard overcome his past and finally risking his heart again is beautiful. They are a very hot and passionate couple. It is also a story of creating your own family when your family cannot accept you as you are. Honestly, Beard's parents are just awful, despicable people.

One of my favorite things about Scar is that Baylin Crow uses the nicknames throughout the whole book. And, when their real names are mentioned at the end, it actually comes as a surprise. It is difficult to think of them as anything other than Beard and Soccer.

 Scar had me captured from the first chapter.  It is one that I just couldn't put down. I am thrilled to have discovered Baylin Crow and can't wait to see what she writes next!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...