Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Risk by Baylin Crow


Amazon


Blurb

We never should've been anything more than roommates.

DREW: Life dealing me a hard blow is nothing new. What's one more sucker punch?

When my uncle offers me a job working at his MMA training center, I jump at the chance to turn my life around...not upside down and questioning everything I know about myself.

Light Heavyweight Champion Asher Ramsey is the definition of a ladies' man. His stormy gray eyes and inked skin call to the artist in me and make me itch for my pencils and sketch pad so I can capture every detail. If I'm honest, they make me itch to touch every detail too, which confuses me.

After he offers to let me stay in his guest room, I discover there's more to Asher than he allows the world to see.

ASHER: My life is a lie. A play written and directed by my PR manager.

With the biggest fight of my career only weeks away, my focus is on securing my title. Losing my belt to some new up-and-comer isn't an option, and I can't afford any distractions. Or an unwanted attraction.

When Drew begins working at the gym where I train, my priorities waver. To make things worse, I offer to let him stay with me until he finds a place of his own. It'll be fine. Sure, I'm attracted to him, but I'm an expert at hiding behind the mask of a straight man. Besides, he's completely off-limits. Not that it matters--we don't even play for the same team.

What's the worst that can happen?






REVIEW

I am always excited to find a new MM book with athletes.  This one held up to all my hopes and I loved it. 

Drew is just trying to overcome his rough start in life and find a new job.  His probation is over, but it's tough to find an employer who will give him a chance.  He eventually goes to work for his uncle, who owns a boxing gym. 
Asher is the big time boxer at the gym.   And he's a known womanizer.   Well, at least that's what the public thinks. In reality, he's gay and deeply in the closet at the advice of his manager. 

When the two meet, the attraction is there.  Asher, of course, knows he can't act on it.  But Drew is all confused.  He is straight and is shocked by this attraction to a guy. If they decide to be together, there are risks.  


I really enjoyed this book.  This author is new to me, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was great.

From the start, I loved Drew and Ash. Drew is smart, funny and a survivor.  I loved that he acted on his attraction.   He isn't able to commit to a gay relationship immediately, but I loved how he did come to accept this attraction.  And watching him become willing to commit completely and fight for Ash was just wonderful.

Ash is also a survivor.  He's been on his own since his parents discovered his sexuality.  I absolutely adored Ash.  He is so physically strong, but not with his mind and heart. He allows his anxiety about the possibility of losing his career weaken him in those areas.  He trains hard and works hard to be successfully at fighting.  Thus, he can't let his sexuality ruin that for him. He has to stay in the closet.  He can't resist befriending Drew though, and then becoming his lover.  

Both of these guys are just wonderful.  I loved their relationship and the path that they took to get to be together.  The author did a fantastic job with them. The attraction seemed so genuine.  And the conflict was fantastically written.  The characters were charming and I became immediately engrossed in their stories. I know some people scoff at gay-for-you books, but this one really felt honest and genuine. 

I loved the pace of the book, the plot and the writing style in general.   Of course, I always enjoy alternating POVS.  If you are a fan of sports MM books, definitely be sure to give this one a try!!

As this is a new author to me, I am excited to see what future works she comes up with.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...