Saturday, May 19, 2018

Teaching Tenderness by Brittany Cournoyer




Blurb:

Marcus ~
Being a single parent was hard, and something I’d never imagined I’d be. So when my ex-wife abandoned not only me, but our son, my world was on its axis, and I was forced to raise my son Jackson by myself. Unfortunately, trying to balance that fine line as both mother and father, as well as work full-time, was something I failed at… miserably. My world centered on my child and my job. A personal life was non-existent. Until one last-minute decision to pick my child up from school, I realized two things: I didn’t know my son at all, and his male teacher had the most stunning blue eyes I’d ever seen.

Anthony ~
My student, Jackson Anderson, had a secret. One that I was determined to figure out. It was one of the many reasons I became a teacher in the first place. To watch the light flash in their eyes as they finally grasped what I taught them had to be one of the most rewarding experiences ever. And even though I probably shouldn’t admit it, Jackson had burrowed his way into my heart to become my favorite student. How could I stop myself from offering to tutor the little dude so he could pass my class? Considering I’d been single since my douchebag ex cheated on me, I couldn’t help but notice just how sexy Jackson’s father, Marcus was. Too bad he was straight.

A friendship blossoms between the two men and leaves Marcus questioning whether he was so straight after all. And thanks to Anthony, Marcus begins to mend his relationship with his son. Obstacles seem to hit them at every turn, but maybe sometimes love will find a way…

***Teaching Tenderness is book one of the Forever in Middlebury series. While each book could be read as a stand-alone, it is recommended that they be read in order. Each book will revisit characters from the previous ones in the series. It is a contemporary romance between two men with explicit language and graphic sex scenes intended for adults only***



REVIEW:

Teaching Tenderness is the first book I have read by Brittany Cournover.   What a pleasant surprise!  I will definitely be checking out more of her work. 

Marcus is currently a single dad, as his ex-wife left a few years ago.  Marcus loves his son, Jackson, more than anything, but he struggles with juggling his career and having time for Jackson.  He is heart-broken when he realizes how little time he has invested in his son's life recently.  

Anthony is currently Jackson's teacher, and he wants to figure out why Jackson is struggling so much.  He starts tutoring Jackson, to help him with his schoolwork.  Doing so, he gets to know Marcus and, of course, is attracted to him.  His introduction into their lives is wonderful.  He helps Jackson with his reading, and Marcus really enjoys hanging out with him.  

Marcus was like so many guys out there.  Working all the time, losing track of time, and struggling with keeping his kid as his top priority.  He isn't unlikeable, he is just losing track of what is important in life.  Anthony helps him with that.  Anthony is a teacher who really wants to help his students.   He is a good guy who is still suffering after his ex cheated on him.   Anthony believes in fidelity and would love to find someone to spend his life with.   

The two men start spending a lot of time together and Marcus realizes that he might not be so straight after all.   He does figure out thought that he isn't attracted to other guys.  He is attracted to Anthony because he is Anthony.  He knows that it won't be easy for him to be with a guy but he really wants to give them a try.  He is willing to take the risk despite knowing how tough it would be if things don't work out, since Anthony will still be Jackson's teacher. 

Jackson is such a sweet kid.  He is totally likeable, gentle kid.  But he struggles, with school and with thinking he did something wrong for his mom to have left him.   This part of the story was handled so well. Both issues are brought up at different points in the story and are a huge theme in this story. And, in today's society, both are a common issues. I, myself, have a son who is dyslexic.  And  I know many single parents.  I love that Brittany Cournover handles both issues with tact.  Brittany definitely is informative about both issues and handles them in a very realistic manner.

Overall, I really enjoyed Teaching Tenderness.  I was invested in it from the very start and couldn't put it down.   There is light angst and just a whole lot of navigating a new relationship.  I highly recommend it.

And now I will be starting Book 2 in the series, Teaching Trust, which was just released yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...