Monday, February 15, 2021

Unlike Any Other (Unexpected #1) by Claudia Y. Burgoa

 


Amazon Link   - Available in KU  





AJ

The name AJ Colthurst may not have any meaning to the public eye, but it should, as I’m the daughter of two famous celebrities. Like any superstar, they crave privacy; so much of it, they built a house in the middle of nowhere for us children. As we grew older, we discovered the lies they built as a fort to protect us from the media, ended up causing emotional damage along the way.
I carry a portion of the guilt on my shoulders; the other part I discovered is the separation of my parents. Their unorthodox ways may have driven me bonkers, but knowing they are no longer together is unacceptable.
That’s why I decided to rattle their cage by reminding at least one of my parents of the past and the reason they belong together. They need to remember why their love is so perfect and why they have to fight to keep it alive. Even if it means I have to dredge up some of my own painful memories along the way.

Gabe

Back in the early eighties, I set myself to succeed in the financial world. The first step had been moving to New York City to become a stockbroker, but things didn’t work out the way I had hoped. Instead, I ended up making movies and by the end of the decade, Gabe Colt had become a famous name. The downside to my career of choice: the paparazzi. In order to protect my family and our privacy, I maintained my family away from the circus. It had been for their own good; a decision we had made before we started our family.
However, those past decisions ended up chasing my entire family away and now I’m trying to put the pieces back together along with my little girl.
 




My Rating - 5 Stars!

Unlike Any Other, the first book in the Unexpected series by Claudia Y Burgoa, is a stunning read. I can't stop thinking about this book. 

It's a family tale that's both heart breaking and gut wrenching. It's a fantastic tale of healing and I love every second of it.

First of all, it's written from various points of view, leaving the reader unsure of who the romance is between. We meet AJ at the start, following along as she returns home to her estranged father. But, no, this romance is not about her.

I love the writing style. Not only are the different povs a unique flair, it's enjoyable, with a fluid pace, and it's full of some light mystery. 

We know there are family problems as AJ returns home. Her parents aren't together, but we don't learn why for a while. 

While reconnecting with her father Gabe, AJ gets him to tell her the love story of her parents. What follows is a tale with some time jumps and plenty of beauty, as well as pain and hurt. 

AJ's parents are famous. We learn that early on. And this is a key part of their whole story. We learn of the downfalls of fame and the fear of being gay. There's always tabloid rumors about her father that affect all involved. But it all hurts AJ most.

Ultimately, Gabe's story is amazing. It's a GFY love story that is beautiful, as well as full of intense anger and hurt. They made horrible mistakes and have life long regrets. 

Of course, Gabe wants AJ to start talking too. When we learn what happened for AJ to have pulled her family apart, wow. Just wow. Her pain is front and center and certainly something her parents never intended.

Luckily, in the end, it's a tale of understanding, forgiveness, and healing. It's a riveting tale of second chances, at both love and family. It's an amazing love story as well. 

I am obsessed with the way the author deals with the big secret. It's a heavy burden to handle and the author thoroughly illustrates this in a powerful manner. It's a family tale that's both heart breaking and gut wrenching. Luckily, it's also a fantastic tale of healing. 

Unlike Any Other is an extraordinary tale. 
Claudia Y Burgoa's fresh writing style definitely makes this remarkable love story even more memorable. It's a story of learning from the past and working on creating a better future. I love every single aspect of this story.

And then there's Porter. I'm excited for his story, and the rest of the series.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...