Sunday, February 7, 2021

Out of Your League (Shoot Your Shot #2) by Joe Satoria


Amazon Link   - Available in KU  






MARCUS
After growing up in Becker Bay, it was the last place I thought I'd be forced to look for talent as a football scout. Least of all, finding my high school bully trying to impress me.

Ricky Stone swears he's the best, and he's willing to show me a good time to prove it--who am I to ignore the advances of an attractive man?

RICKY
I was a king on the football pitch; destined for greatness, signed a pro contract at 16, then ten years on and nothing's changed. Except for seeing a guy who once kissed me.

Marcus Mitchell has the power and contacts to make or break my football career, and I'll do whatever it takes to win him over--but first I'll need a drink.

OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE is a standalone MM sports romance. Read on and you'll find enemies-to-lovers in a second chance, gay for you/bisexual awakening with a HEA.





My Rating - 3 Stars!

Out of Your League, the second book in Joe Satoria's Shoot Your Shot series, is a standalone sports romance.

Marcus is sent home due to a family business deal. There, he 
reunites with the man who was his first kiss. Of course, Ricky's also the man who bullied him. Marcus also has to face his half brother and mother, which causes him plenty of angst. 

In general, I am totally torn about this book.

Good god, I hate Ricky at first. He's such an ass who also happens to have an alcohol addiction and a gambling problem. It took me a while to "get" him and I'm still 
struggling to figure out why and how Marcus is able to look beyond Joe's behavior. It doesn't work for me at all. I needed something as to WHY he would forgive and forget. The fact that he's a former crush is not enough for me.

But, later, after a second kiss, Ricky starts to drop his walls and becomes a little more likeable. Maybe.

I am a huge sports romance fan so I was excited to read this book. But I have to warn you, it's not much about sports at all. It's definitely focusing on Ricky's growth as a person. 

Honestly, I am still in awe that the author manages to turn Ricky around at all. He is a vile person. Until he isn't as much of one. Sort of.

And I wanted to kick Marcus to just leave his ass. But I guess Marcus is a better person than me. Why the hell he sticks by Ricky is beyond me. And ultimately, I just can't get past this issue.

I do enjoy the family issues for Marcus. His father is quite the character, and all this makes for some memorable moments. As well, his mother and brother, and all the background between them is quite unique. 

I enjoy the GFY aspect. Hell, I always love a GFY tale. 

I continue to like the author's writing style, which is pleasant, with a good pace, and great dialogue. And, damn, there's foreskin play! I repeat, there's foreskin play!

Out Of Your League is a good book when you're in the mood for character growth. This Joe Satoria book has it in spades. But it isn't quite my thing and I'm struggling to recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...