Friday, September 11, 2020

Sunshine & Shadows by K.C. Wells


Amazon Link - Available in KU
Goodreads Link




From kids to adults.
From BFFs to lovers.
Except life is never that simple.


Jamie:
Oh My God, Stephen Taylor grew up to be gorgeous.
He called me feather-brain like he did when we were kids, and it was like he’d never left.
Except back then I wasn’t in a wheelchair.
Come on, Stephen. I haven’t changed. I’m still that glass-half-full kid you remember, honest.
Please, be different? See past the freaking chair?
Of course, what would make it goddamn perfect would be if you turned out to be gay, as well as tall and beautiful.
Hey, a guy can dream, right?


Stephen:
Oh my God, he hasn’t changed.
He’s still full of sunshine like he was as a kid.
He wants to know what life was like in California, but there’s only so much I can share.
I’m not going to tell him what I’ve been through. He doesn’t need to know I have lousy taste in men.
Why couldn’t just one of them have been like you, Jamie?
Because I could so fall in love with a guy like you.
Only one thing wrong with that – you wouldn’t want a guy like me.




My Rating - 5 Stars!


Sunshine & Shadows is a fabulous friends to lovers romance by KC Wells. 

Jamie and Stephen are two former best friends separated through distance and years. Some big life changes have occurred during those years, including Jamie now being in a wheelchair. 

At the heart of this story, Jamie and Stephen are complete opposites in their personalities. One is happy and carefree, the other is glum and serious. One is optimistic, the other pessimistic. Both men have some shadows they hide behind, which is problematic at times. The title perfectly reflects this and I love it. But even better is the way that Jamie helps bring Stephen out of his gloom. 

The two friends are perfect together as a couple. They compliment one another wonderfully, and their banter is as if no time has passed. The reader will immediately fall in love with Stephen, as he is nothing but humorous about Jamie's wheelchair when they reunite. 

I love the way the author addresses Jamie's disability, as Jamie is content with life and happy. But, through conversations, we learn that that wasn't always the case. When it first happened, Jamie reacted as one would expect. I love the way this all unfolds. As well, the author does a fantastic job illustrating the way people in wheelchairs are treated in public. Everything is written with sensitivity and care. 

Overall, I adore the personality of these men. Jamie is the opposite of what one would expect, helping to keep things a lot lighter than they could have been. The author gifts him with many layers, making him come to life fully, exploring that he is way more than just his disability. On the opposite end, Stephen is both light-hearted and humorous while also being deeply serious. I love his layers and his ability to overlook Jamie's wheelchair from the start.

The writing style is great, with a tough storyline and two realistic main characters. There are some magnificent secondary characters who add immensely to the tale.

Sunshine & Shadows is an brilliant read that involves some serious subject matters. This KC Wells book had me consumed throughout. It's a low angst read that will leave your tears on the pages at times. And in the end, you won't be able to put it down.  


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...