Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Breathless (The Game #3) by Cara Dee

 



Amazon Link  - Available in KU
Goodreads Link



“Will you beat me without knowing the reason?”

That’s the question I ask when I go to clubs to seek out Sadists.

Most men say no immediately. They see the flags my question raises and walk away. They’re the good guys. They’re the guys who adhere to safe, sane, and consensual. They wanna be aware of the risks and cause no harm.

But I’m not looking for a good guy.

I’m looking for punishment.

The strobe lights hit me as I reach their table. The heavy, industrial music is deafening, and my head is swimming with images of grief, fire, and accusation. I hear the piercing tone of a machine letting me know that I have to tell my two kid brothers that our sister’s heart will never beat again.

Maybe these two twin Sadists will help me. The only thing bigger than River and Reese Tenley is their reputation. They better not let me down.

I ask my question. I ask if they’ll beat me without knowing why I want it.

They give me a stone-cold onceover, and I don’t know if it’s River or Reese who responds. He has a menacing-looking tattoo on his neck.

“Sure. It’s your funeral.”



My Rating - 4 Stars!

Breathless, the third book in Cara Dee's The Game series, is a tough one for me to review. I definitely have mixed opinions on this s/m read.

The story definitely kept me intrigued, and the story is ultimately extremely emotional. From the start, Shay's pain and need for punishment is well explored. He carries years of guilt and grief, with punishment being the only thing he craves. Enter Reese and River, two brothers, both sadists, who set their eyes on helping Shay with his masochist needs.

The brothers are twins who play together, but never allow a third to enter their lives emotionally. Until Shay, who has the brothers breaking every rule they have. I  don't think it's ever stated, but it's definitely hinted at, that the brothers are in a taboo relationship. Personally, I would have preferred more of their relationship. I would have loved to have seen their taboo secrets. I felt that was missing. 

This is a tale with heavy issues of grief and despair. The emotions are raw, real, and well detailed. The story includes humiliation play, bondage, and lots of pain.

The three complement one another perfectly. Shay is a man who desperately needs to forgive himself and to find a purpose in life. And, in a wonderful manner, the twins are able to help him. I love that they see his need for a Daddy, but I would have loved to have seen more of that. I needed more of Shay as a little.

The author excels in this exploration of the extreme levels of pain some people crave. It explores the extreme need to escape one's mind via pain. It definitely explores the benefits of a BDSM relationship. 

Breathless is a fantastic combination of emotional healing and extreme kink. Cara Dee spares no punches in illustrating either aspect. It's a tough read. Don't expect rainbows and unicorns. But it's a great read, if one is craving some heavy kink. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...