Friday, December 27, 2019

Nicki's Fight (Twin Peeks Bookstore Romance Book 2) by Mellanie Rourke







Blurb


KAINE -

A lifetime of abandonment leaves its mark on a person. So much so that when Nicki left, it made a twisted sort of sense. After all, everyone else I had loved in this world had left me, why should he be any different?

Six years later and he’s back in my life. He’s still the same Nicki. Still the same sensitive, intelligent, loving and compassionate man he was years ago. Except…there are shadows in his eyes that were never there before. How do I love him again, trust him again? If he disappears now, there’s no way I’d survive.

NICKI -

I love Kaine Devereaux. I always have. But sometimes love just isn’t enough. When my family moved thousands of miles away to chase the dream of a cure for my mysterious illness, Kaine and I had no idea that more than distance would end up separating us.

How do I ask Kaine to trust me again when I almost destroyed him? How do I ask him to love me again, when I’m still haunted by the specter of my past?



Review 
My Rating - 3.5 Stars!


Nicki's Fight is a tough one for me to review. This Mellanie Rourke read left me divided. 

But I absolutely love the story.

It's a second chance romance, as Nicki gets a second chance with the love of his life, Kaine. The story is multi-layered and complex. It's deep and horrific. The strength of their love is beautiful and all consuming. Their story is depressing, as these are two men who are deeply in love but have been seperated for years.

Nicky has lived a life full of pain and anguish. He's suffered his entire life at the hands of his father. Honestly, his story is gut-wrenching. And, Kaine, omg, his reaction to losing Nicky is heart-breaking. Both men are completely sympathetic and lovable characters, leaving the reader fully invested in their reunion.

Take note that there is a lot of abuse, making for a tough read, and a definite trigger for some.

Written in alternating 1st person pov, the reader has a good grasp on the character's feelings. However, I struggled with the timeline a lot. I understand the author choosing to reveal things throughout the book, but I kept thinking I had missed something, only to have it revealed later. So clearly this didn't work for me, as I often felt things were missing or never completed.

Nicki's Fight has some humor at times, but it's a depressing and tragic read. I would definitely recommend this, but... it's not easily read as a standalone, and I still have some questions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...