Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Ranger Hank (Lonely Heroes #1) by Sam E. Kraemer







Hank Schatz

When I decided it was time for me to get out of the Army to begin making my way back to my humanity and beyond the pain that leeched into my soul over time, I had no idea what I would do with my life. I’d been the property of Uncle Sam for fifteen years, and I’d been an Army Ranger for ten, a member of a distinguished group of brothers-in-arms who would give their lives for their country and each other, too many of whom already lost in the fight. The term, “war is hell,” wasn’t coined for no reason, and I’d had enough hell to last me a lifetime.

It was time to go home and get to know my family again, especially my little sister, Jewel. She was the light in our family and much younger than me. I wanted to spend time with her and learn for myself all the wonderful things she brought to our family, and I hoped her gentle spirit could help me fight the demons that accosted me when I least expected it.

I also had another mission…to tell my family the secret I’d been hiding from them for too many years…the secret that had nothing to do with my career as an Army Ranger. It was time I began living my truth, but how to start? That was a question I couldn’t answer until I went to my sister’s Christmas program and met my sister’s teacher. He was one who made me want to find the answers. I didn’t want to be lonely anymore.

##

Reed Bayless

I had more than a few issues to work through when I moved to a small town in Central Missouri to work as a Special Education teacher at Carver Middle School. The kids were amazing, and their parents were supportive, unlike my last school where the parents believed their expensive tuition relieved them of their obligation to actually participate in their children’s education.

I had embraced my new job and my sweet students easily, but the Christmas Eve service at the local Lutheran church found me wanting to embrace the brother of one of my most precious pupils, Jewel.

Her brother was a handsome man, but there was a sadness about him that made me want to hold him in my arms until his hurts healed. Of course, he was an Army Ranger, the toughest of the tough and the straightest of the straight. The odd friendship that grew between us made me want more from the man because I was tired of being alone. Add in a comfort dog named Cosmo, and I was in over my head before I even knew what happened. The Ranger had me wanting things that weren’t possible…or were they?

Please Note: This book contains material which may be offensive to some readers. It includes graphic language and/or adult situations and descriptions of sexual activity between two, consenting adult males. This fictional story is intended for adults over 18, is approximately 140,000 words in length, and doesn’t end in a cliffhanger. It is part of a new series of stories entitled, “The Lonely Heroes Series.” Each book can be read alone or as part of the series. I hope you enjoy them.




My Rating - 4 Stars!


Ranger Hank is a nice, easy to read romance. The first book in the Lonely Heroes series by Sam E Kramer, I'm excited to see what comes next.

It doesn't seem so at first, but in the long run, there's a lot going on in this story. There's being closeted while in the military. There are students who need a teacher's help. There are lots of crooked people, their manipulation, and under handed ways. 

Hank's back home trying to get to know his family again. He's been closeted his whole life, but definitely feels the sparks when he meets Reed. In addition to dealing with his potential coming out, he's also  dealing with having PTSD. 

Reed is the teacher of Hank's sister. And oh...Hank's sister is sweet as can be. A child with downs syndrome, she adds a lot to the story, as do Reed's other students. 

A large part of this story is the journey of Reed and his job. His students are faced with prejudice and bullying. It's heartbreaking. And it's coming from the top. I love how hard Reed is willing to fight for his students and for what's right. He's an incredible guy. 

And then...ugh...some twists and turns that had me holding my breath. Hank has a little left to do before he retires and it involves some mystery, intrigue, and danger. 

Overall, Ranger Hank is a riveting romance. This Sam E Kramer story has romance, issues of being closeted, military danger, mysteries, and some wonderful kids. In the end, it's a long journey for the men to be together, but it's worth it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...