Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Try Me (Extracurricular Activities #2) by Neve Wilder


Amazon Link - Available in KU
Goodreads Link




Two rivals. One law internship. A whole lot of objectionable activity.

It wasn’t always this way between us.
We were best friends growing up.
Competitive? Yeah.
Ruthless? Definitely.
Neither of us liked to lose.

But the smoking hot chemistry?
That’s new.
The hatred in his eyes?
That’s new, too.

I should let it go.
There’s too much bad blood between our families. Between us.
But I can’t.
I don’t think he can, either.

Now we’re gunning for the same internship.
If he thinks I’ll back down, he’s dead wrong.

Once upon a time, I lost everything.
I won’t let it happen again.

Go ahead. Try me.

From the author of Want Me comes the second new adult college romance in the Extracurricular Activities series. Expect drama, snark, feels, egregious misuse of private property, a guy who’s way more heteroflexible than he realized, and a semi-sorta reformed bad boy who loves to test him.




My Rating - 4.5 Stars!

Try Me, the second book in Neve Wilder's Extracurricular Activities series, is a great enemies to lovers read. This is not a standalone read. I wish it was. I read and absolutely loved Want Me but struggled to remember the details now. I would have preferred a recap at the beginning to help it be a standalone. That said, it is a fantastic book.

Chet and Mark make for a wonderful read, full of hatred, tension, and misunderstandings. Having been best friends when they were younger, a messy past has left them as good as strangers. With a forced proximity aspect, the two are stuck working on a class project together. It's slow going for these two to reconcile, so don't expect anything to change quickly. 

God, my head hurts for Chet, as nothing is his fault and yet his life will never be the same. This powerfully illustrates how a parent's actions can tarnish a child's reputation. 

This is a story fraught with a rich, powerful, and controlling father. It took me a while to truly love both characters, as the past left me confused to their integrity. (see opening statement.) But I like them both, sympathizing with them for both being victims of their father's actions. 

Written in alternating 1st person pov, the author pulls the reader into the events first hand. And damn, Neve can write some smoking scenes. But what I truly love about her are the tender moments that build up to more, which this book has in spades. 

Overall, Try Me is an excellent slow burn romance. Be sure to read Want Me first and then dive into this gem. Neve Wilder takes these men on a long and hard fought journey to be friends again and then more. 


On a side note - Want Me is one of the hottest books I have ever read. It is seriously a book I will never forget as being all consuming. I was expecting Try Me to be the same, but it is a very different kind of story. Don't let that take away from this book though. Try Me is great, it just isn't Want Me and be aware of that going into it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...