Friday, August 14, 2020

Born for Leaving by Mia Kerick, writing as Jude Munro


Amazon Link - Available in KU
Goodreads Link




When they say be careful what you wish for, do you pay attention?
Neither did Oliver Tunstead.

Oliver wishes for nothing more than to get his mind off his crappy bartending job, pile of debt big enough to swallow him whole, and playboy ex-boyfriend/boss who refuses to back off. Too bad distractions, like the hot little convertible he has his eye on, cost megabucks. And Oliver is flat broke. Renting the spare bedroom in his rundown beachfront cottage is his only option to pick up the cash he needs--a risky proposition, as Oliver is the polar opposite of a people-person. When he responds to a bizarre ad in the Waterfront Gazette seeking summer housing, he gets more than he bargained for. But Oliver can cope... After all, how much harm can a single quirky tenant do to his tightly guarded life in three short months?

Where Oliver is a loner by design, urban cowboy Bodie is a loner by necessity. A family dispute long ago dropkicked him onto the path of a lifelong wanderer. This changes when Bodie moves into the tiny beachfront cottage and starts working the door at Oliver's bar.

Despite Oliver and Bodie's nearly paralyzing instinct to avoid commitment, they fall into a wary romance. And to their surprise, life as a couple is sweetly satisfying; that is, until their jealous boss devises a cruel plan to destroy the tentative bond they've built. True to form, Bodie hits the road, leaving Oliver to lick his wounds alone.

Can these wounded souls defy their urge to flee and fight for love?

**Trigger Warning: discussion of childhood sexual molestation of adult character, graphic physical violence, off-page coerced sexual relationship
 



My Rating - 5 Stars!


Born For Leaving, the debut contemporary book of Mia Kerick writing as Jude Munro, is wonderful. I have long loved Mia's young adult books, and this book contains all the heart I have come to expect from her writing. 

The title is a small glimpse into what this story is about. Bodie's a drifter, a man who always leaves before people leave him. He spends his life working short term jobs and renting short term, all knowing he will be moving on soon. And then he meets Oliver. 

Bodie is there, over and over again, to help, save, and protect Oliver, against bar patrons and an asshole ex/boss. There's something about Oliver that calls to him to left his walls down.

Omg, Bodie. His character is well developed, with a raw and painful past that will leave you shaken. His reason for always leaving is well established. He will worm his way into your heart quickly and leave it crushed. 

I love Bodie and Oliver as a couple. They certainly grow leaps and bounds with one another, and make for some amazingly sweet moments. 

Their tale includes confessions, acceptance, confidence, and strength. It has many layers, as the men struggle with themselves, their employer, and the long lasting effects of their childhoods. It's an emotional read that's fairly predictable, yet in the end, it beautiful. That is, after your heart starts beating again after some ultra angst ridden moments.

Be sure to take the trigger warning seriously. If you can't read about attempted rape and child molestation, run far, far from this book.

Mia Kerick has always mesmerized me with her YA books. Now, with her first contemporary romance, I am once again impressed and delighted. Born For Leaving is a riveting, all consuming read. I can't recommend this book enough. Be sure to try it the next time you're in the mood for a hurt/comfort read.

________________________________________________________________________

Main Characters of Born for Leaving Manga-Style

 

Although I’m an author, and much of my creativity occurs in my mind, I’m a very visual person.  As a student, I could only learn by seeing facts written on paper in black and white, rather than by merely listening to them. For the first few years as an author, I wrote my stories by hand in notebooks and then transferred the final drafts onto my computer because I needed to see the words in my own handwriting to interpret and shape them.


Before I can even start writing a story, I need to find visual representations of my characters. My husband accuses me of searching the internet for “hot guys,” but I insist I’m doing research.  And I am.


As I write, I need to see the “hot guys” I’ve selected (after hours of painful—LOL—scouring of models, athletes, actors, and musicians) acting out my scenes. You should see the visions in my head of Jamie from Outlander interacting with Damon from Vampire Diaries. It’s interesting…


I took my mental imagery a step further for the promo teasers for Amy’s blog. I found manga characters—yes, super emo and maybe a tad juvenile—to represent Oliver, Bodie, and big time villain of Born for Leaving, Jack.


I hope you enjoy my creative expression of my MCs as much as I enjoyed creating them.





_______________________________________________________________________________


Jude Munro is merging with the writer’s original pen name, Mia Kerick.

Jude Munro (oh-so-very-briefly Mia Kerick’s Adult MM Romance pen name) writes of men who are drawn to the surf and sand. They’ve sunbathed on the sands of many alluring East Coast beaches, along with the fantastical beaches in Jude’s books. They’ll answer questions like “Who do you think you are, the sun god?” (they share a striking resemblance) if they can hear you over "Boys of Summer" cranking on their headphones. To Jude’s men, no shoes and no shirt is really not a problem.  And each character must earn his day at the beach. (Yes, there is always a HEA).  


As Mia Kerick, largely a YA and New Adult writer of LGBTQ fiction focused on coming of age themes, this author’s books have been featured in Kirkus Reviews magazine. They won a 2019 IPPY GOLD award, a 2018 YA GOLD MOONBEAM, a YA Readers’ Favorite Award, several first place Rainbow Awards, a Reader Views’ Book by Book Publicity Literary Award, the Jack Eadon Award for Best Book in Contemporary Drama, a YA Indie Fab Award, a First Place Royal Dragonfly Award, a First Place Story Monsters Purple Dragonfly Award, and a YA category finalist for the Eric Hoffer award, and more.

 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy and readers! I'm thrilled to be here today with my new adult Gay Romance release, Born for Leaving! Thanks so much, Amy, for the thoughtful review. I appreciate so much how you see the layered growth in their bond.

    ReplyDelete

Season's Change (Trade Season #1) by Cait Nary

  Amazon Link    Goodreads Link A veteran hockey player and a rookie can't get away from each other—or their own desires—in this sexy, h...